Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Rose and Thorn



This looks like Hitchcock
I hate cleaning roses. They are painful. My hands get scratched and messy. And frankly, they are just not very nice flowers. 

I know many people love roses. I can't tell you how many people think that I am weird because I do not like them.

I admit it... I complain about those sadistic little flowers. Whenever we get a box of them I sigh and grumble, grumble, grumble under my breath. I give the evil eye to the bunch that I am de-thorning. I avoid them until I have to clean them. I just generally all around despise them and I don't care who hears me. 

But then I came across a great quote by Abraham Lincoln while doing research for the blog. 

 "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, 
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

I realized that I complain too much. Yeah it stinks that roses have thorns. They hurt. They cut skin. The cling to your fingers if you grab them just right. They do not play well with others.

Love the colors!
But maybe...just maybe I should be happy that thorns have such lovely flowers attached to them. They come in a variety of bright and bold colors which I love. They make people happy which makes me happy. :)

Complaining doesn't change anything. If I complain about all the homework that I have to do for class, does that make it go away? Not so far. It just wastes time that I could be using to get it completed. Complaining about anything doesn't make it disappear like some trick during a carnival magic show. 
So I am going to make a New Years Resolution early. I have resolved to stop complaining about thorns and enjoy roses for what they are.

What are some of your early New Year's Resolutions?

Jennie
Staffer
David Swesey Florist.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment